Taking into consideration the international nature of our activities, cultural differences and specific natures of the Group’s industries, each company engages in a number of actions to protect human rights. Given that, the independent Declaration on Human Rights Protection has been defined at KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. The Company declares that it recognizes, respects and promotes human rights wherever it conducts its business and does not tolerate human rights violations. We undertake to operate in compliance with the United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other norms and standards, including the statutory and executive regulations of the home countries of our business operations.
KGHM is a global organisation, which is aware how important respect for human rights is in the modern world. The Company accepts responsibility for protection and respect for fundamental human rights and implements such standards across the KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. Group. It also assumes that respect for human rights by other entities is a vital element of mutual relationships.
In compliance with the adopted principles, each employee and collaborator of the KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. Group is responsible for ensuring that in his/her closest environment human rights are respected, and any infringements are reported according to the agreed procedure. This Declaration is the basis of our approach to human rights. It supplements and consolidates the human rights issues contemplated in other policies and guidelines of the Company, such as the Code of Ethics, the Diversity Declaration, HR and the Responsible Supply Chain Policy.
The Declaration is implemented in the following manner:
- each employee provided with access to a computer receives the adopted declaration electronically, via the Company Document Circulation System.
- employees with no access to a computer for work purposes are informed of the declaration implementation via extranet (accessible to all employees) and by their direct superior.
Infringements are reported as follows:
- an employee has the right and obligation to report an infringement of the Declaration on Human Rights Protection to his/her direct superior.
- employees may report infringement to the trade unions operating in the Company. (in KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. there are 15 trade unions, which have established 48 company trade organisations; the trade union membership percentage ratio in the Company is 88.6%). KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. acts in compliance with the collective bargaining agreement;
- infringements may be reported to the Occupational Safety and Health Committee.
- the Company has in place formal institutions of the Employee Council and a Whistleblower.
- to the National Labour Inspectorate (PIP).